Featured post

'Thinking Outside the Box'- The Bob Animations

I give you the first of 'The Bob Animations.' I hope you enjoy this little animation. The next one is already in production!!!

Friday, 28 September 2012

Project 1: Cinematic Spaces (Thumbnails-1)

Initial Thumbnails

The first of many...

Here is my first sheet of designs based purely on Lovecrafts written word and what came to mind as I read. Here are a few of the lines from which I gained inspiration.

'...the jagged line of witchlike pinnacles ahead'...
                    '... slow in gaining prominence'...
                                        'Infinitely far off, and only visible because of their abnormal height.'
                                                      '... distinguish various bare, bleak, blackish summits.' (page 15)



Now the key description to have inspired the last thumbnail (number 9) is one I have merely touched upon and is written below. It is a very long descriptive passage that is sure to result in a multitude of concepts mainly because I have absolutely no clue what kind of things Lovecraft was imagining as he depicted the scene and therefore it leave me with almost no boundaries on how to draw these scenes.
This is Lovecraft describing the architecture of a city belonging to a bygone species...

'There were truncated cones, sometimes terraced or fluted, surmounted by tall cylindrical shafts here and there bulbously enlarged and often capped with tiers of thinnish scalloped disks; and strange beetling, table-like constructions suggesting piles of multitudinous rectangular slabs or circular plates or five-pointed stars with each one overlapping the one beneath. There were composite cones and pyramids either alone or surmounted by cylinders or cubes or flatter truncated cones and pyramids, and occasional needle-like spires in curious clusters of five. All these febrile structures seemed knit together by tubular bridges crossing from one to the other at various dizzy heights, and the implied scale of the whole was terrifying and oppressive in its sheer gigantism' (page 16)

It is safe to say this needs to be dissected and cut into several different scenes. But first I feel the need to do some research and create my Influence maps. I may just discover a new way to illustrate this mysteriously enormous city...

4 comments:

  1. Hurrah! Thumbnails from the Mountains of Madness! And yes, thumnbnail 9 is immediately more interesting because it's more speculative in terms of form. I like the impression your images give of banks of mist. There's something about Lovecraft's descriptions of these structures that seem to combine mineral with vegetable with animal that remind me of the drawings of Ernst Haeckel:

    http://ucarochester-cgartsandanimation.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/supplement-ernst-haeckel.html

    You know - one way of pushing towards some truly strange and otherworldy architecture might be to literally collage/layer-up some of Haeckel's most structural of forms - and then work into them in terms of building an environment - go wild, Emily - let's see a set of thumbnails which use different methods to move things into new and unexpected territories - I think Lovecraft would approve! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link(s) Phil! I'll be checking those out as soon as my film reviews are done. :)

      Delete
  2. ooh exciting! I like the idea of the plane being there, gives an idea of the space and size thats in veiw. 6 and 9 stand out for me. I think I like the atmosphere created in 6 and the shapes that are coming through in 9. I've climbed a few welsh mountains and its amazing how the clouds will just sit below you looking like some giant solid cushion. I sent this link to Akinbiyi too but I think you might find it helpful too
    http://travel.uk.msn.com/inspiration/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=149582153&page=1
    (found under extraordinary landscapes on google search)
    and this pic too
    http://www.sportpursuit.com/wp_blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/crib-goch.jpg
    Hope those give you some inspiration :) nice stuff so far though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey those are some great shots and you have reminded me of a trip to wales with school a few years ago. I took a fair few shots back then worth revisiting. I really like that salt plain picture in china, that is very bizarre and I like the description on the site- 'hallucinogenic' It's precisely he kind of thing I think Lovecraft would imagine. A strange regularity which seems altogether unnatural. Thanks for these links!

      Delete