Featured post

'Thinking Outside the Box'- The Bob Animations

I give you the first of 'The Bob Animations.' I hope you enjoy this little animation. The next one is already in production!!!

Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Project 2: The Secret Lair (Initial Influence maps)

Having received the briefing I got down to researching my two components, 'Arachnoid' and 'Knight' to get a better idea of each word and its meaning and what it might mean for my characters form and behaviour/function.

Below are my initial influence maps. The first is for Arachnids- spiders, exoskeleton, clockwork, hybrids, superheroes/villains, horror flicks, sci-fi, fantasy and even sculptural.
The second for Knights- The round table, Arthurian legend, fantasy, sci-fi, traditional, Templar, armour,  Jedi, Samurai and also video-games.



I'm beginning to get an idea of how an 'ArachKnight' might look, I will create a few thumbnails, so that once I understand its form I can create a space in which such a character could reside. I also want to create further influence maps exploring the spaces inhabited by Arachnids or Knights,. Combining the two could prove comical and weird but all the same visually intriguing.-- Imagine a spider-like knight, the size of your thumb, living in the 'lavish' crevices of a castle window-frame with a 'round table' comprising of a button that a passing royal left behind...

6 comments:

  1. oh dear! It's me that stands corrected, Emily! Yes, yes, yes - it's spiders all the way... The Secret Lair of the Arachnid Knight! (Though Arachnoid sounds way cooler - as in 'humanoid'... Who knew that Arachnoid was a brain-thing? Not me, obviously! Apologies for the shock, but yes, it's SPIDERS not brains :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry! I was fairly sure you meant spiders! and I have to agree, Arachnoid sounded much cooler. :D

      Delete
  2. This sounds awesome! I love Knights!... have a look at John Howe. He designs alot of animal armour or creature armor...
    http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gallery/data/media/36/CentaurArmour.jpg

    And I don't know if you've played Dragon Age at all but there are alot of spider-esque lairs. With caves drapped in webs and egg sacks and captured prey.

    http://arcano13.com/fanzine/local/cache-vignettes/L400xH273/shelob-1cb3e.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Sammy hugely helpful! That centaur armour is brilliant. I'm planning to look up armour and bits from 'the Chronicles of Narnia' but also, someone has pointed me in the direction of World of Warcraft'. Apparently it could prove interesting. :D

      Delete
  3. Steven has just showed me this too... I'm not sure how it came up but it might be an interesting avenue. Sellotape Art... This pic is of a weird web structure and it's pretty cool.

    http://nbcolfla.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/foruse015.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! thats just sellotape!? Thats incredible and a great link! thanks Sammy (and Steven)

      Delete