Featured post

'Thinking Outside the Box'- The Bob Animations

I give you the first of 'The Bob Animations.' I hope you enjoy this little animation. The next one is already in production!!!

Monday, 4 February 2013

CG Artists Toolkit- (Pre-Viz and Character Animation)

Pre-Viz- Camera Coverage, Camera Shake, Contra-Zoom

So here are the latest sessions animations, beginning with the Pre-Viz stuff.
The first video is of 'coverage'. A series of angles 'covering' a short live action sequence. This is the first animated video I've made with several angles and then edited them together (Using Adobe Premier Pro.) I had been wondering about getting to this part when creating our own unique animatics for our current 'Storytelling and Commission' Project- I find my question is answered! Exercises like this (and our sessions with Mark using Premier) have really helped me to get to grips with editing a series of clips together as smoothly as possible.

video

These next two videos sample camera shakes. Camera shake is great way to convey movement or weight to the audience, it adds another dimension to viewing, as if your sat there rather than a separate universe. The first video shows a fairly small shudder of the camera as a car drives past. The second video, its a slightly heavier crash, but the entrance is only one you could ever see in a film!

video

video


This third exercise displays a technique made famous by Alfred Hitchcock, called Contra-Zoom. The focal length used on the camera and distance are altered to create a sort of live-action skewing of perspective. It emphasizes the sense of the supernatural about the scene.

video


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. Although, I now have square eyes and a mushy brain! But it will be worth it when I am sure I will be up to date by friday. Just 2 more tutorials to go!

      Delete
  2. Indeed - and it's always good to hear that the tech classes etc. are being soaked up and proving useful. I hear the Adobe Audition class was an eye-opener too - or should that be 'ear-opener'? Watch for the contra-zoom in Jaws tomorrow - almost as famous as the scenes in Vertigo, which Tom B is showing on Thursday night at 5pm in Lecture Theatre 1 - which I suggest ALL year one students go to... come on, it's Hitchcock! :)

    ReplyDelete