Featured post

'Thinking Outside the Box'- The Bob Animations

I give you the first of 'The Bob Animations.' I hope you enjoy this little animation. The next one is already in production!!!

Thursday, 18 April 2013

Project 4: The Fantastic Voyage- (Maya modelling)

I began modelling  the various organelles in the last week of term and completed them towards the end of Easter break. Here are some of the progressions made throughout that building process.

I started with what has to be the most complex looking organelle in the cell. The Golgi Body (or Golgi Apparatus s it is otherwise known.) Consisting of 'flattened sacs' according my research it seemed anything but as straight forward as that. My Golgi Apparatus was created using a number of cylinders cut down, merged together and then rebuilt into full 3D using mirroring. It was then tweaked with endlessly to try and create some different edges nd variation. It somewhat resembles a rocky outcrop in side view.






Next came the Mitochondria, the outer membrane was a cinch to create but that inner membrane, folded up to form the 'cristae' was anything but. It took a lot of fiddling and tweaking to get that going. Unfortunately I forgot to take screen shots of its progress so all I have here is the finished model.


Next up was the Nucleus. I had decided I wanted the nucleolus to actually look like genetic material all tangled up into a dense object within the nucleus, with some free floating ones in the remaining area. So I resorted to using an extrusion and repeating the shape, rotating it to create the bundle seen below. I think it worked fairly well.



Having modelled the key organelles for my animation I looked to creating the remainder. The Ribosome, the Rough and Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum (Reticuli? I have no idea what the plural is.) and finally the Centriole. Their building processes can be seen below.

The Ribosome design was kept simple and so the building of it was much the same. Plus this organelle will be absolutely tiny in the grand scheme of things.



The Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum was created with a chunky extrusion adjusted slightly and then finally had some edges merged together creating this funky finished item.




Rough and Smooth ER (Endoplasmic Reticulum) are very similar except for the presence of ribosomes on the surface of the RER. I thought it made sense to keep their shapes similar with a little differentiation so they could be easily identified within my finished cell. The Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum was created using a duplicate of the SER (Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum) and then covered in duplicates of the earlier created Ribosome.


The Centriole is the last of the organelles to be created. What I understand of it is that it is the organelle has something like tendrils made of tubulin that stretch out and pull apart the genetic material during the cell cycle. With this in mind and previous diagrams displaying it as something sort of star shaped I created mine to be made of tubes.






So finally I placed all the organelles within a cell, it has to be viewed in wireframe to see everything but in any case... One complete cell body! 




No comments:

Post a Comment