Featured post

'Thinking Outside the Box'- The Bob Animations

I give you the first of 'The Bob Animations.' I hope you enjoy this little animation. The next one is already in production!!!

Monday, 23 December 2013

Toolkit Maya: Head and Body Modelling

During the narrative project I created the entirety of the character using the Maya tutorials. Here I am using them as evidence of completing these tutorials. Please find below the work copied directly from this project including its development.

Head Modelling- Initial blocking, Mouth, Nose, Ear, Neck, Throat, Eyes, Eyebrows, Hair

I completely forgot to blog the progression of Lucy's head! So here is the run down of her creation so far. here have bee a few issues in creating her head. What with having a teeny neck it did much up the geometry a little bit. Also i believe the eye might still be a headache to create and fit together. But there is a plan!

Here is the initial blocking out phase

 Then I began to model the nose, the lips (only a little) and the ears. the ears opened up a can of worms in that the shape of this head in particular meant geometry was a little out of whack, but with Alan's help (and a few friends helping me to sort out triangles) it all came out well in the end.

 Here I've gotten into creating the throat. Although  our character doesn't actually speak her expressions may lead to her opening her mouth.

Next on the agenda are creating the eyes and the hair for the character. I expect the hair to be quite a challenge!

Finishing off the head here. Had to recreate the eyes, make the hair and eyebrows.

 The hair was completely ad hoc. I had to guestimate a lot!

Upper Body Modelling- Torso, Arms, Hands 
So with the general look of our main character (now named Lucy) established I got started on the model making within Maya. I immediately ran into a hurdle with the head in how to create the eyes for this character. Despite our simultaneous tutorials with Alan covering modelling a head, the eye shapes are nothing like you're average eyeball. Needing back up I decided to drop the head and move to the body and block the majority of that out instead. I think its going quite well so far...

Creating the sleeve puff but was really quite easy (I wasn't entirely sure how it might go) But trying to do the collar however wound up being a bit of a mind bender... not wanting to mess up normals and things. I'm still not sure if its correct or not. It looks ok for now at least.

This is the end point after two sessions of modelling the body. I thought I would try and add to the detail creating a clear place for the buttons to sit. Its not so bad thus far. My next stop is to create the buttons to sit on the front and then get into creating the arms and legs.

Unfortunately creating the arms I forgot to record my progress but they didn't take that long to model despite missing an orthographic angle. I managed to guestimate using the tutorials

 Creating the hands were slightly long winded what with the example being followed only being four fingered while Lucy was designed to be five fingered. 

 It was about here I suddenly remembered her hands were the wrong way up and did go back and turn them 180 to make sure she didn't look broken.

Lower Body Modelling- Legs, Shoes
Here are the final stages of creating our character. Theres a lot here because its an amalgamation of several sessions of modelling! I wound up creating legs that went up to the waist ready for connecting to the waistband of the skirt for later rigging.

Then came the shoes. They were quite sweet if a little blocky.

 The body and head were connected

 And finally we have Lucy!

No comments:

Post a Comment