Featured post

'Thinking Outside the Box'- The Bob Animations

I give you the first of 'The Bob Animations.' I hope you enjoy this little animation. The next one is already in production!!!

Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Adaptation: The Big Idea

The big idea for round 2 of adaptation is the creation of a 3D storytelling environment based on the nonsense poetry and illustrations of Shel Silverstein. He was an American, poet, playwright, singer songwriter and cartoonist who was born in 1930 and died in 1999. The works I want to focus on in particular are the collection of poems in his book 'A Light in the Attic'


Its a book I have had for a very long time (judging by the fact the inscription inside the cover says 1997!) And I remember reading it many many years ago. But I realise now I didn't fully appreciate the comedy and in some cases depth of the poems. Having read the book from cover to cover I have selected quite a number of poems that have taken my fancy. The first few are long poems only one of which I would try to adapt.

                                               1. Backward Bill            2. The Meehoo with an Exactlywatt     


                                               3. Bear in There                                            4. Never

Beyond here are all the short poems I really quite like the sound of. Quick, full of rhythm, spontaneity and complete nonsense in some cases.




















After a few tutorials in weeks past, an idea to create an Attic environment and tell stories from within it seems to be the key feature. I feel more inclined to create this environment and then choose a handful of the shorter poems to animate using the random objects found in the attic. Rather than choosing one of the longer ones.
Its is clear that I need to narrow these poems down further, which I will. However there are two poems I am certain I want to bookend the project. The poem 'A light in the Attic' and 'Batty'. These would help create a sense of closure as the light is turned on at the beginning and with the reading of 'Batty' is switched off in the end. Now to choose the 4/5 poems I wish to animate.






No comments:

Post a Comment