Monday, 31 March 2014

Adaptation: Touching on Lighting

Well, I'm very lost and confused as to what to do about this part of my scene. I have an interesting compilation of stuff, items that I may/ may not want to cast shadows- for example objects to be portrayed in 2D planes. I also may want to adjust the way light bounces off of my modelled objects around the scene. With its toon like nature, the environment may need to look more basic and flat colour that intensely shaded. The things plaguing my mind are, for one,  how to create a well lit scene without incurring the wrath of rendering in Maya and for a second, using the right settings so that I get a high quality finish to my scene. (This is going to take a lot of playing around to grasp, I imagine)

Below are a few of the tests I managed with a couple of textured objects as examples both in their own scene as well as my environment. I've used a mixture of directional lights, area lights and ambient lights, point lights over the course of these experiments. (Although usually only a maximum of 2-3 lights at any one time)

From this point I started to play about with how I could make the bulb emit light and create the sense that the lights are on and someone is home.

The image below was created by making a volume light, extending its range to skirt the room with an tntensity of 10 and ray trace shadows on. But then (unlike the previous image) I situated the source of light directly below the light bulb- (hence the blown out white spot on the underside of the bulb.)

So moving on from this I thought let see what I can do about the bulb, utilizing a white shader initially, making the bulb semi transparent and reflective (like a real bulb.) The effect was pretty cool. Having made the shader slightly transparent I wondered if lodging the volume light in the centre of the bulb might work again. 

I discovered the answer was no. The bulb may be bright, but the room lost its light. From here I decided to give the shader a slight glow element to it to try and indicate the light was on. And shifted the Volume light to be just outside of the lower part of the bulb once again. I still need to find a way to fix the shadow cast by the light fitting because its just a tad too big.

Although the reflectivity is gone, I like the glow on this now. The intensity was knocked all the way back to 0.05 to create this glow.

Adaptation: Modelling Furniture

So I started with the basic box and created a coupe of variations ready to fill out my scene later. Distorting them was fun, but I expect trying to stack them up might prove a challenge. I may have to tweak the geometry to try and make them fit together a little better

The next piece was working into the chest of drawers I had created previously, but adding the toony-flare to the form. This piece of furniture is a rather large part to my design, it features in most of my previously sketched scenes. It is mainly because of its practicality within the scene- Some of the other junk within the scene will probably lean against the chest of drawers. If not that then they may well be resting on the chests surface or in one of its drawers. I wound up starting from scratch with this version. Its had its own fair share of problems, extra inexplicable geometry. Edges misbehaving and the like. But I have managed to complete a wonky set of drawers!


Saturday, 29 March 2014

Adaptation: Creating the 'Special' Props

I'm currently modelling the objects that would be interactive allowing a child a window into another of Shel's poems from the attic space. I've tried to narrow the objects down to a shortlist. Here's the progression in creating some of them below. (And also the title of the poem from which they originate)

First of all, a child's shape box. Ready to house the character 'Square' 'Triangle' and also 'Circle' from the Poem 'Shapes'. This is the most important model as it is this poem I have chosen to create a proof of concept piece. I intend to animate the simple shapes enacting their poem, ready for the later addition of the text involved in After Effects. Based on the sketch designs above.

You can see below the saga that was building what should have been a simple toy box, for the poem 'Shapes'. I didn't really think it through and eventually it evolved into a better built model! EventuallyI went back and using the animation tools distorted the shapes to create a highly toon shaped object.

Next came the guitar, for the poem 'My Guitar'. So I modelled one, (badly initially) and kept remodelling, before finally distorting the shape with a little animation to create the distorted look present in my environment space.

And then came the Umbrella from the Poem 'Snap!' I initially made it just a tad too detailed and took out a few edge loops towards the end. But I liked the idea of a few contours being present. Hopefully texturing using line drawings they'll cross over each other creating and interesting effect. I finally used a bend and lattice to adjust the shape. I'm not sure If I need the lattice however. So I have decided to keep a version only consisting of bent geometry.


Now the slightly simpler carpet roll (or so I thought) I made several attempts at creating the roll. Before settling on a CV curve approach.  A little distortion was created using he animation :attic and bend tools.

Finally, last but not least I created a Teapot.  With a similar approach to the otter creations, the eventual product was distorted using animation. So my pot's a little wonky.

Here's the line up of the 'Specials'

Next... the rest of the attic furniture. ( A line up of about 20 items, plus however many boxes and crates I might need to fill up the scene!)