Featured post

'Thinking Outside the Box'- The Bob Animations

I give you the first of 'The Bob Animations.' I hope you enjoy this little animation. The next one is already in production!!!

Monday, 31 March 2014

Adaptation: Touching on Lighting

Well, I'm very lost and confused as to what to do about this part of my scene. I have an interesting compilation of stuff, items that I may/ may not want to cast shadows- for example objects to be portrayed in 2D planes. I also may want to adjust the way light bounces off of my modelled objects around the scene. With its toon like nature, the environment may need to look more basic and flat colour that intensely shaded. The things plaguing my mind are, for one,  how to create a well lit scene without incurring the wrath of rendering in Maya and for a second, using the right settings so that I get a high quality finish to my scene. (This is going to take a lot of playing around to grasp, I imagine)

Below are a few of the tests I managed with a couple of textured objects as examples both in their own scene as well as my environment. I've used a mixture of directional lights, area lights and ambient lights, point lights over the course of these experiments. (Although usually only a maximum of 2-3 lights at any one time)






From this point I started to play about with how I could make the bulb emit light and create the sense that the lights are on and someone is home.

The image below was created by making a volume light, extending its range to skirt the room with an tntensity of 10 and ray trace shadows on. But then (unlike the previous image) I situated the source of light directly below the light bulb- (hence the blown out white spot on the underside of the bulb.)


So moving on from this I thought let see what I can do about the bulb, utilizing a white shader initially, making the bulb semi transparent and reflective (like a real bulb.) The effect was pretty cool. Having made the shader slightly transparent I wondered if lodging the volume light in the centre of the bulb might work again. 


I discovered the answer was no. The bulb may be bright, but the room lost its light. From here I decided to give the shader a slight glow element to it to try and indicate the light was on. And shifted the Volume light to be just outside of the lower part of the bulb once again. I still need to find a way to fix the shadow cast by the light fitting because its just a tad too big.






Although the reflectivity is gone, I like the glow on this now. The intensity was knocked all the way back to 0.05 to create this glow.




No comments:

Post a Comment