Featured post

'Thinking Outside the Box'- The Bob Animations

I give you the first of 'The Bob Animations.' I hope you enjoy this little animation. The next one is already in production!!!

Sunday, 29 March 2015

Environmental Experimentation

I've been working back into the Ravine scene and trying to build it further backward for the final scene with Morrigan stood at the very edge of the drop. Here are some of the renders I've taken as I've played with the texturing and bump mapping.

For the hero ravine shot I thumb-nailed originally (see below) I used a particular shader (a Blinn) in order to get a lovely light on the edges of my trees, unfortunately that same shader makes those trees look far too shiny when the scene is viewed from a different angle.



I tried altering the shader type to a Lambert but it knocked all the stuffing out of the scene. So I continued to try and make my trees look like stylized trees more than patterned plastic piping and wound up with the progressions below.

Blinn(Left) vs Lambert (Right)

I decided to stick with the Blinn for the time begin and see what could be done about making my tubes more tree like, so i went back to the bump map and added some additional line work to create a sense of bark.  Initial streaks were too far spaced, so I added more in the second passes. They can be seen from both the points of view of the ravine.



I do quite like the additional bark-like bump map going on. It needs a lot of refining but only after I've crowded my scene with the trees it needs heading into the distance. Currently the scaling is way off and with the way I'm duplicating and moving the tree's about they need to be remodelled to fit the scene and prepare for re-texturing later.





I intend for the pattern do die out in the tree's that are more distant and I feel they should get darker the deeper into the forest that they go, however despite the shader's being made darker and almost black they're taking on an alarming silvery appearance in blinn form! The ones that are completely black in the final image were altered to be lambert's as a trial.

Bear in mind, these are all just test scenes, once I've found a style I like I'll re-do my UV maps so they are economical and sensible and do a far better paint job within Photoshop. However first things first back to traditional grey and building trees that are correct in scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment