Featured post

'Thinking Outside the Box'- The Bob Animations

I give you the first of 'The Bob Animations.' I hope you enjoy this little animation. The next one is already in production!!!

Saturday, 25 April 2015

Environment Designing- Aerial View

I kept the build of this scene extraordinarily simple and it consists of mostly planes and the prevalent use of transparencies which become obvious in the subsequent renders as I try to replicate the rather striking reddish pink of my thumbnail.





I went for more orange based lights in the end and managed to create some nice long shadows. I also imported my rigged warrior character to use as the tiny men seen distantly on the ground. I wanted to make sure you could tell that the specks below were actually running because you can just make out arms and legs. To make the ground a slightly more interesting space I created patterned shadows, the same as the larger ones in the general forest, but on a miniature scale.





With the basis of the environment complete I got to work on some of the more concerning animation challenges. I needed a small squad of men running across the scene.After a helpful conversation I was given a multitude of options as to how to tackle this and settled with creating an extraordinarily basic run cycle on my full rig and caching the geometry (via alembic.) I then imported the alembic cache ten or twelve times, placed the men in position, looped their animation cycles and animated them from one spot to another. It worked a treat!!!




The only feature missing from this scene now is the billowing smoke from the village. I hope to achieve this with dynamics. I'll be posting test play blasts shortly and trialling the additional smoke if I can stylise it the way I hope. Onwards.

2 comments: