Wednesday, 27 May 2015

Extended Showreel- Private View

Here is a culmination of my work from the Computer Animation Arts degree for the graduation show. It features work from both second year and third year. Featuring the projects...

Narrative- Dolls in the Dark
Adaptation B- A Light in the Attic 
Minor/Major Project- Morrigan

The music is 'Basique' by Little People.

Friday, 22 May 2015

Campfire Animation and Environment Changes

I've been adjusting the camp fire opening animation. Im cutting out all of the swinging camera work. Morrigan walks in, spots the fire AND the warrior sat beside it, who remains oblivious to her presence. Below is one the latest playblasts of animation. I also created a rendered version to check the piping on Morrigan in particular. You'll have to forgive her lacking face! I forgot to double check her facial render stats before. However the look isn't that far off!

Following that particular scene I revisited the campfire from a different perspective and made a few more changes. Firstly the fire itself which was made more orange, I ensured the shadows casting across the floor were evenly spread. I also revisited the matte painting background, bringing it up in ambient colour before creating some blue light shafts to try and indicate a forest with more depth,

Blast from the past- Lucy

To create a show reel I have been delving back into previous projects. This little doll needs some fixing, but she was the first character I had ever made and was bound to have a few bugs. With a little love and care I'm gradually bringing her to life for a brand new turn around.

Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Campfire Adjustments

The campfire sequence is one of the larger jobs in need of changing. It was suggested that I included moonlight as another light source, helping to create contrasting lighting that could act upon the characters and help them to stand out from the darkness. This was a rather large issue previously as the heads and general body shapes of my silhouette characters vanished in the darkness. They were purely defined by their piping.

I've had to tweak the environment slightly to ensure these characters can bee seen against the blackness of the night, such as shifting a tree here and there. I've also made the moonlight slightly bluer and the fire glare more orange. The gobo scales were adjusted so that the casting shadows of the branches and leaves were of a more believable size.

I'm trialing a different shader on the line work of my characters so they appear a little more responsive to the light of the fire and the moon. The surface shader has been replaced with an average lambert creating the effects below on my two characters.

                                        Surface Shaders                                Lambert Shaders

I think Morrigan rather vanishes into the background, so I tried a variety of ideas in an attempt to draw her out of the dark,  Firstly I applied the moon colour to her line work which wasn't much better. I went back to the pale yellow lambert and began to play with first, incandescence. This resulted in a paler but bleached line. 

I then combined incandescence with ambient colour and resulted in something brighter still. But I finally feel I might have settled on using ambient colour alone as the colour remains but feels a little boosted in comparison to the others.

                                         Moon Colour                            [Sepia with] Incandescence 

                       Incandescence and Ambient Colour                  Ambient Colour

I am pleased with progress so far. I will give it a little more tweaking then I believe this scene will be ready to render and the remainder of the campfire shots in needs of the same treatment!

Monday, 18 May 2015

Fixing and Finessing!- Starting with the little(-er) things...

So I'm trying to finish off what I started in regards to my Major project, there's an absolute mass of things that didn't sit well with me. Here is the beginning of rectifying mistakes, bad shots, renders and animation.

First things first, putting the end to 'Lilliput Morrigan' in 'The Clearing' scene. I had issues with scaling at the time. The scene has since been revisited and Morrigan made slightly more visible and believable in size within her environment. I also discovered how to rid myself of the strange floating orb behind Morrigans head. (One of her controls in need of hiding.)



The next thing on the agenda was altering the opening scene of the animation. In the final submission this beginning drags on for a little too long so I added the opening crows into the moving scene hopefully for a slightly punchier beginning. Here's the new intro with additional diegetic sounds due to fill the animation!- much more interesting!!

Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Base Animatic and Modified Animation

I've realised though I had created an animatic for myself following the receipt of the voice over, I never posted it. This was partially because as the 'figuring-out' tool it is, I realised it was incomplete and a mess particularly at the introductory stage. I found myself with a long blank spot during Morrigans introduction. Storyboard wise there was nothing visually going on which need to be sorted out. So I have since created and animated additional scenes and added the subsequent video below to point out how I have already altered the beginning of my animation in terms of shots and timing.

The Draft Animatic

A more realistic look at my Animation